F. McConnell and Sons, Inc. (McConnell's) began as Frank McConnell started a wholesale tobacco business in 1914 on the second floor of his retail tobacco store in Decatur, Indiana.
By the early 1930’s all three of his sons, Fred, Richard K. and Joe, worked beside him in the business.
As Fred retired and Joe pursued other interests, Richard K. McConnell continued operating the business with his two sons, Kenneth and Richard C.
After Richard C. left the business to pursue other interests in 1969 and Richard K. passed away in 1973, Kenneth McConnell continued operating the business with his son and daughters.
Today our business is operated by fourth and fifth generation family members. The legacy of strong customer service continues today with all of our loyal employees.
Over the years we gradually broadened our product line to include candy, paper products and fountain supplies.
In August 1978, the Garns Company in Auburn, IN, joined our business. John Garns and several Garns Company employees helped us expand our product line to include a wider variety of foodservice products.
In February 1980, as we continued to grow, we found it necessary to build the main warehouse we are located in today. In 1984 we added 4,800 square feet of freezer space to our warehouse and freezer units to our truck fleet.
By 1986 a separate warehouse location with 15,000 square feet was acquired for refrigeration and bulk storage. This brings our total warehouse capacity to 59,800 square feet.
Our ongoing success enticed us to develop our retail convenience store program in 1983. In 1989, our business expertise and opportunities continued to grow as we began supplying universities with candy, snack, foodservice and grocery supplies. Today we have a wholesale program for foodservice restaurants, convenience store retailers, including universities, as well as a candy and tobacco program. We strive to continually grow our business and have embraced improvements including e-commerce, the frozen food supply chain, and modern warehousing.